Physician Strength Peel
There are a number of chemical peels that can greatly help improve the quality and texture of sun-damaged skin. Peels can be superficial, medium or deep and depending on the type of peels they are may have limited downtime.
Generally speaking, however, the best results are gained with deeper peels. Before Dr Caswell undertakes a peel with a patient, she may discuss the need to condition the skin – thereby preparing the skin so that the peel provides better results. In addition, a full medical history is needed, and medical prophylaxis may be required for certain conditions. These precautions reduce complications caused by the procedure.
There are a number of peels to choose from – and Dr Caswell will discuss with the patient the suitability of their skin type for the process of chemical peeling.
Most patients tolerate the process of a chemical peel quite well – in fact most only experience mild discomfort during the application phase. The general process is such:
- Conditioning the skin with a home treatment program
- Cleanse and disinfect the skin
- Application of the peel – cooling the skin between layer with a fan
- Neutralization if required (depends on the type of peel)
- Drying and oxidation of the peel substance, removal (depends on the type of peel)
- 3-5 days – peeling of the outer layers of skin
- 1 week – for some peels a lift off procedure can be conducted
- 2 weeks – process completed, sun protection advised to maintain the results
- Home treatment regime can be resumed to help maximize results.
A physician strength peel is much stronger than peels conducted by beauty therapists or from home kits. These peels are often pre-buffered to reduce the risk of permanently damage skin. Beauty therapists are obviously not trained to identify and manage skin cancers and all individuals should have their skin examined by a trained medical professional before any procedure to ensure that lesions which require medical attention receive the appropriate treatment.
Dr Caswell can discuss the various treatment options available, and possible outcomes during an appointment. To make an appointment phone 02 6752 1333.